Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Chaos Earth questions< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
glitterboy2098 Search for posts by this member.
Knight

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2017,03:54  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

been working on a chaos earth book (a derived work from my scandinavia rifts book.. lets just say that my backstory notes wound up very detailed.)

i posted a couple threads to the FotM to gauge reactions to certain setting ideas but sadly that board is pretty much dead. while i know that this site isn't much better, i figure there might be one or two people who might have an opinion.

so first up, power grid.
ok, so we know that the golden age had some really good power technology. Reliable and compact nuclear power supplies. Solid Oxide Fuel Cells. whatever miracle capacitors make E-clips work. with that in mind, i've been wondering.

would important sites (major businesses, hospitals, etc) have switched from Diesel generators over to compact nuclear or SOFC emergency backup power? (since both would offer much longer duration before needing refueling, as well as much smaller generating hardware and fuel storage.)
and would more places invest in such things than just big businesses, medical facilities, and government offices?

would things like Street lights be fitted with a kind of 'mini e-clip' to let them shine in a lower power mode even when there is a blackout? and if so how long would they last (assuming that high efficiency low power drain bulbs are involved here, since that is the current trend)

one trend today is houses and buildings being designed with solar or wind power that feeds into a battery/capacitor bank, and any power generated that isn't used by the building being fed into the city power grid. would such set ups keep localized power going for awhile? for like building internal lights, light up signs, etc? (while solar is obviously useless with the cloud cover, wind power might still function)

couple of reasons why this might matter:
Atmosphere. a city that still has some working lights, signs, etc can go a long way to improving the descriptive nature of the game. a lone streetlight is obviously going to be more poignant than total darkness, and not to mention if lights and power still work in some buildings, it lets a GM manipulate their players more. (since lights and active machines would liekly be taken as a sign of a survivor enclave and thus safety by players. not to mention that it allows for things like characters instinctively flipping the light switches as they enter the room to occasionally not just be a useless instinct of modern living)

gather points. buildings that still have power would be obvious places for survivors to gather. power means light and heat, which means better survival. not to mention the ability to recharge things like radios and other electronics that might be vital to survival. and the odds that there is some form of medical equipment and/or kitchen functioning.

Logistics. kinda ties into the above. most weapons used by NEMA are energy weapons, and they use a lot of electronic gear.a nuclear or SOFC equipped building would make a good base of operations because they could tap into the generators to run their gear and recharge some of their equipment. offsetting their own limited supply of portable generators.

--------------
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
Dustin Fireblade Search for posts by this member.
Military Mastermind

TeamIcon

Group: Admins
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2017,08:15 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah I'm never on the FotM anymore, and only around here maybe once or twice a day.

I think you are on to something, but possibly running the risk of making it sound like a book for the Fallout video game. In Fallout 4 they've got these compact nuclear core/battery things that are running things in all sorts of places.

In any event in my own notes from my own long dormant "Rifts Reset" project - fossil fuels were no longer in wide spread use as a fuel source. Only high performance vehicles, like race cars still used them (think the Juicer vehicles from Rifts WB 10). Every military base, major hospital, police station and fire department had some sort of independent nuke power system. Likewise defense or major industries. The power grid had been overhauled to use nuclear energy as well, though a number of places maintained a 'green' system of using wind, solar or hydro systems.

I suppose places like sports stadiums would likely have a nuke power supply as well.

Wealthy or a group of 'survivalists' might also invest in those solid oxide fuel cells to supplement their off grid systems too.

I like that street light idea, but would likely limit that to major intersections or around areas of critical infrastructure.

--------------
"Silent souls leave laser holes." CS TAG Motto

"Better to fight for something than live for nothing."
General George S. Patton

"There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, learning from failure."
General Colin L. Powell
 Post Number: 3
ManDrake Search for posts by this member.
Thread Killer

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2017,12:59 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Also remember the recharging of the E-clips could be done with solar paints as well. In the Golden Age, those would have reached their logical extreme. I would imagine the light poles themselves would recharge the lights that they were holding up. Also solar roofs are going to be the new normal. Making it very easy to get maximum power efficiency everywhere. Also certain kinds of windows on buildings can generate electricity as well. Now imagine all that perfected down to the nano-scale and it's pretty easy to imagine self sustaining things all over the place after the fall. Even now we've started also to create bio-digesters to process waste products into energy and/or fuel. In the Golden Age it's hard to imagine them limiting themselves to a tiny handful of energy sources. They would have taken the all of the above approach. Probably optimizing for the most favorable for the specific region they were working in. But I suspect that they would have a good mix of just about everything. Also I suspect they would also have some level of Vertical Farming going to decrease energy consumption. That's the thing it's all about reducing and being more efficient. It's the only way to create the Golden Age, I'm actually fairly shocked that Kevin decided to stick with RTG's as the primary power source. Relatively speaking, they are pretty primitive. Fusion should have been the primary power source and the RTG's should have been the backups to that. But I guess Fusion was hard to imagine in 1991. Quarter century later, the math is starting to look a lot better, mostly it's the lack of effort now keeping us from implementing effective versions of the technology. Can't risk upsetting the energy monopolies that run everything can we?

--------------
There is no limit to magic,
Only a fool will tell you otherwise.
--------------------------------------------------
If we are to survive, a new balance must be found. In normal times, evil would be fought by good. But in times like these, well, it should be fought by another kind of evil.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 4
Knight

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2017,20:17 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

another thread that didn't get any responses (and an attempt to see what the facebook groups thought bogged down into uselessness)

there is a common assumption here on the forums that flying vehicles in chaos earth are grounded, because of all the ash from the volcano's. and while certainly this is a very reasonable assumption while the ash is falling, the fact is that the Chaos Earth core book has a number of flying units that clearly were meant to be used. hovercycles, hoverplatforms, flying probes, and of course the Silver Eagle. further, on Pg 18 you have General Sawyer outlines the plan for getting the remaining functional part of the Atlanta NEMA forcesto the main groups of NEMA survivors are.

"We go where we can do the most good. We take the Chromium Guardsmen and other power armor on the 'choppers, join the nidwest forces, and establish a fighting core."

so 3-4 days after the cataclysm hit, the sky's were clear enough to fly large troop/cargo helicopters the 700ish miles between Atlanta, GA and Chicago, IL this despite the fact that on Pg 14 earlier, "everything from the rockies to the midwest is likewise being buried by a storm of ash" mentioned in the section on Christmas Eve, literally a day before the General decides to evacuate to the midwest. so clearly, while the ash falls would ground aircraft at times, there are times where the ash isn't falling or is light enough that flying units can operate relatively safely, even during the first weeks of the cataclysm when the falls would be heaviest.

with that in mind, do you think we will ever stats for these 'choppers' NEMA had/has? and see helicopters or VTOL aircraft offered to GM's for use in their games?
what would your expectations be for them?

edit: btw, some thing people forget about the ash fall/cloud issues.. volcanic eruptions are not continuous. especially the severe ones. they erupt for a few days, then go quite for a few months, then erupt again, etc. usually the first is the worst because it is pushing out all of the 'plug' material)
also, the ash clouds spread out quite a bit as they cover distance. heavy ashfalls usually only occur closer to the volcanoes, since the larger and heavier particles fall out first. (so it is liekly that the midwest, which has few nearby volcanoes, have thinner clouds of finer particles.)
combined this means that ashfalls would be irregular (and after a few months the ash clouds would start to clear up anyway)

and if the vehicle isn't using turbines for power or propulsion the danger would be less. the issue is mainly the molten ash gumming up the turbines. an external rotor or a cold ducted fan powered by nuclear or Solid Oxide Fuel cells, wouldn't have that issue, and a "flying through sand" comparison would fit for the big maintenance concerns

of interest is that the most recent book for CE (resurrection), set in march of 2099 three months after the start of the cataclysm, talks about how any aircraft that tries to fly through the constant weird storm that is the rocky mountains vanishes without a trace. which does confirm aircraft are in use. the book also more or less avoids descriptions of ashfall, even in the flavor text.

--------------
 Post Number: 5
Dustin Fireblade Search for posts by this member.
Military Mastermind

TeamIcon

Group: Admins
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2017,06:47 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I suppose if we do, it will be either work done by you or Jason Richards. Jason I thought has a military CE book planned.

As for what they might look like? Further evolution of the V-22 Osprey for starters. There is also the Glitter Boy hauler from the Free Quebec book, can't recall the details on it though so not sure if that is a pre-Rifts vehicle or not.

A cheap/basic transport.

A stealthy transport.

A heavy lift transport. (Maybe the GB hauler thing?)

EDIT - I'm not 100% sure we need an attack helicopter, given flight capable power armor. The "Iron Eagle" from Iron Heart Armaments was pre-Rifts though.

--------------
"Silent souls leave laser holes." CS TAG Motto

"Better to fight for something than live for nothing."
General George S. Patton

"There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, learning from failure."
General Colin L. Powell
 Post Number: 6
Marcantony Search for posts by this member.
Scout

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2017,07:40 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looking very nice. Why not have it hosted here as a netbook? I think its been a few years since the last one.

--------------
Beyond Heroes; A site dedicated to heroic roleplaying of all eras including fantasy, pulp, modern and future with my own magic system and compatible with OD&D, AD&D 1E and 2E, and Palladium.
 Post Number: 7
Knight

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2017,17:00 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

actually i am working on getting a CE book 90% finished before proposing it to Kevin S.
it is scandianvia setting so it is basically an outgrowth of my backstory and pre-rifts technology materials for the rifts worldbook.

and i've sent jason a PM asking a few setting questions (like "what is the credit in prerifts time. north america alliance specific or international" and "due to MOm tech and Calibre-X we know psionics were known pre-rifts. howm uch did they actually know?" and "the rifts books include a lot of non-human races existing prior to the cataclysm, many in historic times. have you touched on that?"

--------------
6 replies since Feb. 05 2017,03:54 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Chaos Earth questions
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code